- Prevent bursting pipes by taking preventative steps:
* Wrap exposed pipes with insulation.
* Caulk cracks and holes in outside walls and in the foundation to avoid leaks from wind driven rain.
* Open cabinet doors to allow warm air to circulate around the pipes.
- Check and clean gutters. Clogged gutters can contribute to ice damming.
- Have chimney checked and cleaned.
- Drain and shut off outside water systems.
- Keep temperature inside your home no lower than 65 degrees. This step will help prevent freezing pipes.